(meteorobs) All sky cameras

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 12 16:10:41 EDT 2009

Yes Ed, Good question.

My sole purpose for higher sensitivity is to bring out pre and post trailing
which causes Sentinel to capture MORE of the fireball characterization. It
does however have a down side as mentioned by Chris. The ablation &
detonation is wider and brighter. I accept this in my effort to detect
persistant trains, detonation products, and more accurate start & ending
positioning of the meteor/fireball flight path, or a cooling meteorite on
its way down.

I don't recommend this for everyone. That is another reason (1 of 3) why I
run a second software system which has no enhancement that is connected
directly to the Sentinel camera with an active coupler with no gain.

The 3 reasons are:
1. Capture of any fireballs during Sentinel reset time of ~30 seconds.
2. Full capture of flight time not limited to Sentinels 7 seconds.
3. Normal(visually close) light intensity levels.

YCSentinel