(meteorobs) All sky cameras

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue May 12 16:56:53 EDT 2009

I find that mag 2 and brighter is perfect. It provides a wealth of meteor
data- I'm able to accurately track the radiants for showers, record shower
rate data, and pick out possible new shower radiants. That is possible with
a 180° FOV and no intensifier. At the same time, I can accurately record the
position vs time of fireballs. I can even record the light curve of
fireballs by measuring the scattered light off a white reference target,
rather than looking at the fireball itself when it's saturated.

My system isn't a Sentinel, but it broadly useful beyond just detecting
possible meteorite falls (which is always going to be a very rare event).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com