(meteorobs) Information about observed fireballs

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu May 14 10:36:37 EDT 2009

We don't know, unless somebody actually finds a meteorite!

Good indicators are: low initial speed (<30 km/s), shallow entry angle
(<45°), a terminal explosion, or possibly intermediate fragmentation events.
Of course, the fireball should be sporadic- many impressive meteors are
associated with showers, and there's little or no chance of these producing
meteorites. A really long ground path is probably a good indicator, as well.

Velocity and angle position are usually unreliable if the event isn't
captured on cameras, although it can be extracted if you have enough witness
reports (I usually figure that 1 in 10 reports are good enough to trust, so
you need quite a few; azimuth reports are usually much more trustworthy than
altitude reports).

It is likely that most meteorites are the product of fairly unremarkable
fireballs. Most really spectacular fireballs probably don't produce
meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory