(meteorobs) Information about observed fireballs

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Thu May 14 11:07:00 EDT 2009

Chris, I agree with most of what you said, except...

"...Most really spectacular fireballs probably don't produce meteorites..."

In recent months one can look back at Buzzard Coulee. This is a perfect
example of a spectacular meteorite dropping fireball. West (Ash Creek)
was a daylight fireball, and visible from over 120 miles away in the
middle of the clear blue midday sky. If it had been at night I imagine
that would have been a spectacular fireball as well, lighting up the sky
and putting on a nice light show. Maybe defining spectacular would be in
order... ;)

I guess my point is that you are right. We really don't know which
fireballs drop meteorites and which do short of finding a meteorite
under their terminal burst point, but chasing them sure is fun! One day
we'll have better data technology and knowledge and hopefully be able to
determine based on observation the chances of meteorites from watching a
fireball event. Kind of like a weatherman gives a 30% chance of
afternoon showers... ;) Maybe we'll have a fireball man that watches the
skies and gives the daily fireball weather report.

"Sunny and balmy, winds at 5mph out of the NorthEast, with 100% chance
of meteorite showers today from asteroid TC3 over Sudan."

Hmmm... Could happen.

;)

Regards,
Eric