(meteorobs) meteorobs sonic boom and doppler radar image

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu May 21 01:31:37 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/21/2009 1:07:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
marc.d.fries at jpl.nasa.gov writes:

The date on those stories is Monday, 09 March, but the stories themselves
refer to an event "the previous Saturday", or 07 March.  Have a look and
make sure to click on the links to the  stories:

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2009/03/westchester-county-new-yor
k-meteor.html

I  analyzed the radar data and provided the image you mentioned.  The radar
 data itself was disappointing compared the "Ash Creek" fall outside of
West, TX  not long beforehand.

At News 12 Westchester (where I serve as an on-camera meteorologist) we did
 a few stories about this in the aftermath of the sonic boom that was heard
at  around 12:30 a.m. EST on Saturday morning, March 7.  One of our
reporters  interviewed me as an "expert" in astronomy and asked me if I thought it
might  have been a meteorite fall.  My comment was that if the sounds were
indeed caused by a fireball meteor, that it most certainly would have
produced a  far-more dazzling display, which likely would have been visible for
many  hundreds of miles.  The noise also seemed to be confined to a relatively
 small section of lower Westchester County; no reports of any sounds either
in  adjacent Rockland County, Fairfield, Connecticut, The Bronx or northern
 Westchester.  A very odd circumstance.  My vote was that it wasn't
necessarily a meteor . . . but that I couldn't think of anything else other than
a high-flying aircraft traveling at a supersonic speed that might have
caused a  local sonic boom.

-- joe rao