(meteorobs) Prediction for the June Bootids in 2009 and 2010

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Sat May 23 11:19:24 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/23/2009 10:07:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ast3 at ngs.ru writes:

"It is very interesting case, of course, especially if the  prediction
turns to be correct and I wish you to witness this event whatever  it
would be. Don't forget also about much closer year 2022 when a storm
of  the comet 73P shower (tau-Herculids) is expected by many
researchers. ZHR of  thousands or even tens of thousands meteors is quite
possible, also
with high  average brightness."

-----
Last fall, Mikhail, myself and several other researchers discussed  the
prospects
of a tau-Herculid storm in 2022 (offline from meteorobs).

Luthen / Wiegert / Horii wrote papers detailing future  prospects. The
calculations by
Luethen and Horii were independent confirmation of each other - the
ejection velocity,
miss distance and timing are all in quite precise agreement;  the split pf
73P in 1995 is extra
reason to believe there are plenty of  meteoroids out there.

Lyytinen calculated that the rD comes quite close to rE, within  about
0.0002 AU. The calculated
trail passes a little bit inside the Earth  orbit on 2022 May 31 a little
before 5h UT.

Mikhail did some computations, noting that If the ejection velocity was
positive with the same module and the trail was "usual", i.e. without
particles
ejected due to the comet's break up, he would expect a very short  outburst
with ZHR of 3000-4000 (in rough approximation). Considering the fact the
Vej is
negative and the comet 73P has a very short period, he then  suggested
decreasing
the ZHR by 10, to 300-400 meteors. Considering the fact, however, that
because of
73P's disruption the amount of ejected particles should be at least one
order higher than
usual and with higher modules of Vej.  Thus, he  returned to a scenario of
a ZHR
of 3000-4000 as a "conservative estimation" of the outburst  intensity.

The only fly in the ointment here is the simulation that was run by Jeremie
 Vaubaillion,
which fails to confirm any of this; the ejected meteoroids apparently are
not far enough
in front of the comet to produce a significant meteor shower at  Earth!

Mikiya Sato (NAOJ) also finds that the particles to be ejected are not too
far in front
of the nucleus, which is what is shown by Jeremie's simulation.

Jeremie later wrote: "Sorry I feel like the party downer but we have to be
extra careful of
the arguments otherwise the conclusions that we draw are  wrong."

That is pretty much where the discussion ended.  So while it would  appear
that
we "may" be looking at an outburst from the splitting of 73P in 2022, there
 are some
who have cast some doubts about all this.

:(

I myself had written about the prospects of a 2022 storm a few years ago in
 "Night Sky,"
a sister publication of S&T which has since folded.

-- joe rao

**************A strong credit score is 700 or above. See Yours in Just 2
Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585033x1201462753/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&b