(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball video capture?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Mon May 25 11:13:47 EDT 2009

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with infrared or any other
special optical filters that would be *optimum* for detecting daytime
fireballs? I am wondering if a filter could be made specifically for the
wavelengths of meteor burn signatures so as to make the meteors visible
in the midst of a bright daylight sky?

I have used a red filter for my own all-sky video camera and have tried
to detect daytime fireballs at times of forward scatter radio receptions
when I knew that fireballs were above in my local daylight sky but I
have been unsuccessful at distinguishing any meteors thus far. Hence, I
wonder at filter and wavelength optimization.

Has this been worked on?

Thanks in advance for any information or thoughts on the subject.

Thomas Ashcraft  /  New Mexico