(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball video capture?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon May 25 12:29:47 EDT 2009

>> I'm not sure if filters would be that  effective. <<

I'm not sure either. Most filters have a filter factor, to  compensate for
the loss of light that passes thru for an exposure. I suppose IR  filter
also has something like that.  Not only IR filters visible  light, but a
certain amount of the Infrared as well.

>>You need to reduce the intensity of the Sun first.  I have  read
somewhere that a driven occulting disk that blocks out the Sun  and
tracks it across the sky could be used but this would be  complicated
to do I would think.<<

Wouldn't it be better to just set up in a shady spot and not mess with an
occulting disk? You can easily find shady locations with open sky views.
Like  when I use to photograph during a full moon, I'd aim the camera in a
direction  away from the moons location...The skies will have a little less
light to deal  with. The same goes for the sun...aim as far away as you can...I
think that will  give you a little more chance. I'm not sure how Infrared
film will do for this  case. You might want to give that some thought too.

 >> A red filter could be used in conjunction  with
this occulting disk to reduce light scatter. <<

I use to use a combination of a red filter and polarizer to slow the
shutter speed into durations of a half minute to a full minute for special
effects time exposures...but that's a long time for a short duration object. I
personally think you're better off doing it at night. This kinda reminds me
of a backward country's space program to land men on the sun...but in order
to  succeed, they plan on doing it at night. :O)
geozay

 During daylight you may
see a dust trail but this is in  the visible region so a filter may
not be effective..  I wonder  if one of our professional meteor types
could comment on  this.

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823249x1201398664/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May
ExcfooterNO62)