(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball video capture?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon May 25 13:10:59 EDT 2009

I don't think a filter will help. The light from a meteor is effectively
broadband, so any filter will reduce the signal. A polarizing filter might
help by increasing contrast in some parts of the sky, but it will also
result in some loss of signal.

You ought to be able to record any fireball in daylight (that is, a meteor
brighter than mag -4). I am able to see Venus in the daytime with my camera,
but only when I use a manual iris. The normal autoiris stops down too far,
even if the Sun is blocked.

I'd definitely use a solar occultation disc if you want to try daytime
fireball detection. They are very simple to make.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com