(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball videocapture?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon May 25 16:39:41 EDT 2009

You can easily use a bandpass filter to isolate any single emission
wavelength. There are better choices than Fe or Ni unless you are
specifically looking for iron meteors, which will be fairly rare. It becomes
more complex if you want to allow several different bands through at the
same time.

Using any filter will reduce your signal, limiting you to even brighter
events. The question is how much contrast will be enhanced by using a
filter. You would want to measure the sky background level through your
filter in order to assess that.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory