(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireballvideo capture?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon May 25 16:52:05 EDT 2009

Hi Ed-

I mounted a big ring bearing around my camera enclosure, tipped so that it
was parallel to the equator (that is, adjusted for latitude). On that I had
a radial wire that stuck out about 0.5 meters, with an L-bend at the end. On
that I put a plastic film cap (can you still get those? <g>) I used a slow
motor to friction drive the outer bearing, at one turn per day. This system
only works if you are not too close to the equator- for that you'd need to
reset the shadow mask position every night, since it couldn't pass
underneath the camera.

I made no effort to automatically adjust for the change in the Sun's
altitude over the year. As it is, it can run for days before the altitude
changes too much, and all I need to do is slide the film cap up or down the
wire to adjust for it. Of course, a completely unattended, remote setup
would need to be more complex.

BTW, I did this for a weather cam project- nothing to do with monitoring
meteors.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory