(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball video capture?

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Mon May 25 21:49:39 EDT 2009

Thomas,

In my attempts to do just that about 2 years ago I ran into a number of
problems besides  sunlight issues, artifacts, & band filtering issues.

For us to attempt daylight capture of fireballs whether all-sky or not, the
larger issues were control of contrast, brightness, & threshold. ESPECIALLY
pixel threshold for trigger.

We would need an AUTOMATIC software function which would readjust pixel
threshold at frequent intervals throughout the day. Also the camera then
becomes more sensitive to DARK FLIGHT than bright flight when operated in
daylight modes.

Notice what your "Test Video" is doing during daylight......nothing! It
would take a nuclear blast to trigger it essentially. Then start readjusting
pixel threshold and all your basic brightness & contrast setting two where
you start getting a threshold count in "Test Video" during any part of the
day......

It will be so far away from your night settings that you would have to reset
everything for ANY night captures in addition to your all-day constantly
changing your settings for a fireball with changing sunlight blossuming of
substrate pixels.

I see no solution at the present time, or before, even with attempts to
lollypop the sun itself.

YCSentinel
(jumping in quickly)