(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball video capture?

Swift, Wesley R. (MSFC-EV44)[Raytheon - Jacobs] wesley.swift at nasa.gov
Tue May 26 11:42:25 EDT 2009

This is a contrast problem and is made difficult by the broad-band thermal nature of both the meteor and the sky background.  The characteristic lines are all in the UV which is a problem for all but expensive, solar-blind UV intensified cameras.  The sky is blue and polarized in some directions making a combination of red filters with a polarizer rotated to darken the sky.   Polarization only works well in certain directions so this is not much help for an all sky camera. Only rare, really bright bolides are detectable so I guess this is why cameras used in the day are called "fire-ball" cameras.

Wes