(meteorobs) Optimized filters for daytime fireball videocapture?

Richardson, Terry R. richardsont at cofc.edu
Tue May 26 13:20:58 EDT 2009

Chris and Ed,

A couple of thoughts here. I have done some work with daytime
detection of bright stars using filters in oder to initialize GPS
scopes. Since the sky light peaks in the blue end of the spectrum a
deep red filter that you were sure had transmission well into the IR
might work. The solar intensity in the near IR is still 80% of the
visible peak, so this filtration will darken the sky but not help much
with the sun. An infrared cutoff filter such as a wratten #87 should
be better if the camera has sufficient IR sensitivity but I must
acknowledge I have never tried that to detect stars in the day with a
#87 but it sure does darken the sky making it almost black.

A student of mine had a similar problem with the full moon and all sky
light pollution photography. We put a neutral density filter on a ring
that covered the moon (but allowed it to shine through) and was moved
across the sky at the same rate as the moon by an equatorial mount and
clock drive. It would be a lot more trouble but if it works, then it
might be worth it.

Clear skies,

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy