(meteorobs) IR Signature of Meteors in the near IR

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Tue May 26 13:45:58 EDT 2009

	For the IR signature of meteors do a search with "Google" for "IR
meteor spectra".  There are several references for this.  An early
paper by Peter M. Millman and Ian Halliday can be found at:  http://
adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1959AJ.....64Q.342M  This was based on using
extended red end films at night but it gives you the lines present in
the near-ir region.  I am not convinced that filtering will really
aid in capturing daylight fireballs.  I'm pretty sure this would have
been done by meteor scientists if this was practical to do during
daylight.
Ed Majden AMS Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.
Canada