(meteorobs) IR Signature of Meteors in the near IR

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed May 27 17:39:04 EDT 2009

Hello Bob:
	I saw your original post, but isn't recording meteorite impacts on
the dark side of the Moon at night a different kettle of fish?   Has
one ever been recorded on the sunlit side, I don't think so!  The big
problem with our all-sky cameras is the Sun scatters light on the ccd
frame blotting out around 1/4 of the frame.  The auto iris in the
security type camera used, also reduces the sensitivity of the camera
so the ccd is not damaged by the strong sunlight.  Possibly, using a
mask that would blot out the Sun may help improving the situation a
bit.  Filtering out transmission to a specific region of the
spectrum, i.e. near IR region, will also reduce overall sensitivity.
I'm not sure if low velocity fireballs, the type that may drop a
meteorite would have strong emissions in the near IR region.  I could
be wrong about this but I think this is correct.  See: Astron.
Astrophys. 279, 627-645 (1993) A fireball Spectrum Analysis by Jiri
Borovicka.  Too bad these Lunar impacts are so faint as I would love
to get a spectrum of such an impact! ;-)
Ed