(meteorobs) meteorobs 90 second fireball and ISS

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Thu May 28 09:40:42 EDT 2009

drobnock schreef:
> Of interest, Space Weather for 26/27 May 2009 indicated that the ISS was
> retrofitted with upgraded solar panels. The end result was a brighter
> flaring. The station is visually brighter with  a -8 and greater
> magnitude for the satellite.

To be fair, that (-8) is still exceptional. But it does happen. I have seen ISS
do that (shortly, think 10-20 seconds) briefly a few times now (recently in the
evening of 19 May for example), usually at 40 degrees altitude in either the
east or west.

On a "normal" pass through the zenith it can easily reach -4 though, that is a
bit of a standard magnitude for such a pass now. And yes, it get's reported as a
fireball (or "UFO") every now and then.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek