(meteorobs) meteor impacts

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu May 28 16:57:33 EDT 2009

Meteors have also been imaged in the Martian atmosphere, so that is another
term that can't be restricted just to the Earth.

Etymology aside, I don't think "meteor" is used anymore to refer to anything
other than the light emitted by a body from space (usually natural, but
possible an artifact) as it enters/reenters at very high speed. Meteorology
is obviously from the same root (meaning high in the air in Greek); I don't
think the term was ever applied primarily to the study of luminous phenomena
in the atmosphere, but has always been used mainly for weather phenomena.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com