(meteorobs) meteorobs meteor impacts and terms

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri May 29 12:24:48 EDT 2009

The reality is that meteoritics is a very specialized area. This is apparent
after most fireballs, when the press seeks out "local astronomers" at
colleges or planetariums. As most of us have observed, the majority of the
information coming from these sources is pretty poor, although I don't doubt
that most of the astronomers involved are otherwise well educated,
intelligent folks.

If most _astronomers_ understand little or nothing about meteor dynamics
(and I should add that  most geologists are unfamiliar with meteorites, as
well), it is probably not realistic to expect that the average person will
be able to distinguish natural from artificial meteors, or even that many
people won't confuse contrails or the ISS for fireballs.

On our side is the fact that the general public is fascinated by meteors.
There are not many "scientific" subjects that elicit so much interest. As
meteoriticists we have the opportunity to exploit that interest. When we
have a fireball over Colorado, I receive hundreds or even thousands of
reports. I respond to everyone, give interviews on TV and radio, and
generally do what I can to educate and maintain interest. Over the years,
I've seen the level of knowledge around here increase tremendously- the
reports on the news are much more accurate, I get good questions from
teachers, and I see my website traffic shoot up, telling me that people are
paying attention.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory