(meteorobs) Meteor Watching and Wild Animals

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Nov 1 09:26:36 EST 2009

>>So far in this part of the country mountain lions are rare and  they
usually do not attack people, but sometimes they  do.<<

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but where I observed was
in Descanso, California within San Diego County. This is in southern
california  and just outside Cuyamaca State Park. I don't know about now, but when
I was  there in the 90's, that area was basically known as mountain lion
central.  Within a few years, there were several human attacks that I can
remember. One  was an old woman being killed...that occurred roughly 7 miles
from where I  observed. A 5 year old child was attacked in broad daylight
amidst many  people(that was about 3 miles from my observatory). Another attack I
can  recall was to a horse and rider. The lion tried, but failed and
shortly ran off. We belonged to a hiking club down there and an old lady that we
usually hiked with was surprised by the sudden appearance of a lion onto
the  trail. It stood there about ten feet away and just looked at her.She blew
a  whistle and the lion didn't move.  She had a walking stick and simply
said  "shoo" to it. It didn't move. She then swung her stick as hard as she
could and  hit it in the head. It then turned and ran off. At the time I
remember several  more lion encounters. It seems to occur to me that there were
two different  human fatalities during that period, but not sure now. I know
just north of san  diego in the Orange county area where Disneyland is
located, there were several  lion attacks to humans in a popular park. I know at
least one was fatal. You can  feel comfortable observing alone if you want,
but I usually refer to these  people simply as "food". :O)
GeoZay