(meteorobs) Meteor Watching and Wild Animals

Weaselwizard weaselwizard at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 1 14:20:45 EST 2009

Hi All,

I live and get lucky when I can observe much from the bottom of a remote
canyon in the northern CA Sierra Nevada foothills.  We do have bear,
mountain lions, rattlesnakes, etc. around here.  We frequently carry
bear/lion spray with us, but are now starting to arm ourselves with
wasp/hornet spray because it is nasty, inexpensive and has a 20' +/-
shooting range.  This was recommended by one of our back country riding
groups.  But I would say your best defense is probably your dog who will
let you concentrate on the meteors while s/he stays quietly near you and
keeps an eye on your surroundings.  Mine do this for me all the time.

Wide clear skies,

Teri Faulkner

incidents,