(meteorobs) Meteor Watching and Wild Animals

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Mon Nov 2 13:42:21 EST 2009

At 10:39 PM 11/1/2009, Wayne Watson wrote:
>** See Rattlesnakes by L. M. Klauber. I think he has a story about using
>them in an Indiana Jones movies. Any time a human approached a group of
>them, they would scatter.

This is often NOT the case in spring (around May/June in S/N
California) when they are just waking up and looking for mates. I had
an encounter in S. Cal this past May where a rather large rattler
crossed the trail in front of us and held his ground in a bush right
next to the trail, rattling vigorously. Nothing could persuade him to
move on. We eventually had to make an unpleasant, scratchy detour off
the trail through the sage brush in order to get by him.