(meteorobs) [Bulk] Re: Meteor Watching and Wild Animals

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Mon Nov 2 14:33:06 EST 2009

I once(1940's) hunted rattlesnakes for a snake farm(milking) and zoo near
Big Bear and around German Village. Got 50 cents for every (unmarked by fork
stick) snake.
-During the course of this exciting venture I learned the real danger lies
in the early morning hours. Sidewinders and Rattler's leave their den to sun
themselves and still being stiff and cold they often do not rattle and can
strike without warning.
-When temperatures reach about 78 degrees, they seek sun cover and will
rattle vigoursly on an approach.
-Nearly got hit twice. Once when a BIG Rattler wrapped itself around my left
arm and darn near pulled his head free of my right hand while I was trying
to get him in a burlap collection sack.
-The other time was when I was cutting the rattles off of a 12 rattle (row)
snake and he pulled his head free from under a pile of rocks. He came across
me just above both my arms with his mouth open and locked on a boulder on my
left. Venom ran down on the boulder. He was blind from head damage and was
striking at the source of the tail pain.
-I was just metal detecting the remains of an old cabin at that time......He
had me cornered near a canyon edge when I decided to take him for rattle
mounting.

-So much for wasting meteorobs time.........

Be especially aware they hang around & hunt near water bodies and
creeks/streams for small game.

YCSentinel