(meteorobs) SIMPLE & VERY CHEAP SOLUTION for animal hazards.

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 12:05:06 EST 2009

>>But I wouldn't give up my close connection with bears, cougars,  and
coyotes for the world. <<

I like the wilderness myself, but I get quite squirelly over mountain lions
 and bears. I've never had an encounter with a bear while observing...just
the  worry that I might. However, I've had quite a few bear encounters while
doing  other endeavors...such as back packing and gold prospecting. I worry
about  bears mainly on account they often just mess things up. Over the
years, I've had  them tear tents up, chew water bottles up, chew plastic gas
cans up, eat dirty  underwear up, tear my back pack to shreds, raid food sacks
that were properly  hung and the list goes on. My last bear encounter was 2
or 3 years ago while  gold dredging along the Yuba river in california. I
woke up to a loud shredding  noise when a large bear was tearing into my
partners tent. They were gone at the  time...luckily. After shooing it off, it
came back 2 hours later to the same  spot...Last year, a bear stole a
backpack off my partners quad and ran off with  it. Most of us would write the
backpack off, but it just so happens that they  had 2 ounces of gold in the
pack. So...needless to say, they did about 45  minutes of searching and found
the pack...and the gold. :O) As for coyotes, I  never gave them much thought
and kinda enjoyed their presence really.
GeoZay