(meteorobs) meteorobs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 8

brodwcjj at integrity.com brodwcjj at integrity.com
Thu Nov 5 10:53:42 EST 2009

The areas I go in the west (Columbia River Gorge or high desert Central
Oregon) I haven't felt the need to carry weapons.  I'm glad I didn't have
one the time the local sheriff checked to see what I was doing.
                   "But officer I'm watching meteors"
The closest animal encounter I recall is with an owl.
I was in a reclining chair covered in sleeping bags on a cold Leonid night
in the Columbia Gorge.
My head was covered with a brown furry-looking hat.   All of a sudden
something blacked out the stars and I felt a silent whoosh of air over my
face.   Then I saw something land in the tree above.    I realized that an
owl had made a pass at my furry head  maybe thinking it was a rabbit.
Thank goodness it did not sink it's talons into my face.
Since the owl was still looking down from the tree I threw my arms out of
the sleeping bag, ripped off my hat and yelled, "I am NOT a Rabbit !"
The rest of the night was uneventful except for the beautiful meteors.

Now there are areas in the west I would feel different.   In Alaska I was
nervously aware that I was not the top of the food chain when I could see
evidence of recent Grizzly Bear activity everywhere I hiked.
I didn't stay out at night there  but if I did it would probably be on the
roof of a tall building  with a can of bear mace in my hand.

Dustin Brown