(meteorobs) Observation 9 Nov 2009 UT from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:00:04 EST 2009

I was inspired by Paul Martshing's example and decided to watch meteors before the moon rose.  Unfortunately, I was drowsy during the first session and I have deducted 10 minutes Teff for that reason.  I also found it difficult to fix my attention to the sky because of all the planes flying from the southwest toward airports northeast of my observing station.  Strobe lights from the planes can simulate edge-of-vision meteors or point source meteors.  These two distractions may have cost me some meteors.  However, I believe the below is a reasonably accurate report of what I saw.

Location: Bel Alton, Maryland, USA

Date/ Time: 9 Nov 2009, 2:00-11:05 UT

2:00-3:05 UT: Lm=5.2, F=1.00, Teff= 0.92, Drowsiness affected alertness.

NTA:  +2, +3
SPO:   +1 (2), +3

3:18-4:05 UT, Lm=4.8, F=1.09, Teff= 0.78, Moonrise predicted at 3:49 UT

STA: +2

Best wishes

Rich Taibi