(meteorobs) [Fwd: 2009 Leonids]

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Mon Nov 9 16:42:41 EST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 2009 Leonids
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:32:03 -0500
From: meteors at comcast.net
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

For the second month in a row, observers will enjoy a moon free peak of
a major shower. This time around it is the Leonids. Most years the
Leonids produce about 12 meteors per hour at maximum. But the Leonids
have been a bit of a surprise in the past few years, and 2009 may
continue this trend. There are some predictions that the ZHR will be 100
or more, so if at all possible, do not let this opportunity pass you by.

For a more in-depth discussion of this possible enhance activity, I
suggest you take a look at the following website of the International
Meteor Organization:

http://www.imo.net/calendar/2009#leo

In a nutshell though, the prime period appears to be November 17/18. The
moon will be new on the 16th, so will be of little concern. If the
predictions are true, Asia will be in the prime spot, but high rates may
be experienced over much of the world. The radiant, near the Sickle,
doesn't rise sufficiently until around midnight, so plan accordingly.

Here are the basic shower characteristics:

Leonids
Active:  November 10-21
Maximum:  November 17
ZHR = 100+?
Radiant: 152 deg +22 deg     RA = 10h08m     DEC = +22
Velocity = 71 km/s

For more information on the Leonid meteor shower, I recommend the
following excellent website:

http://meteorshowersonline.com/leonids.html

For more information on how to plan and carry out your Leonid watch, you
may contact me at the email address below. Additional information is
available on the website of the North American Meteor Network.

Clear skies!

Mark Davis
meteors at comcast.net

North American Meteor Network