(meteorobs) Obs: 11 Nov 2009

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 11 21:06:43 EST 2009

11 Nov 2009 02:00-04:00 UT (CST 10/11 Nov 08:00-10:00 pm)

Long: 93 deg 34 min W  Lat: 42 deg 05 min N  Elevation: 318 meters

A dismal report.  The atmospheric conditions allowed persistent, spreading jet contrails.  During the two hour period often there were three jets in my field of view, sometimes four jets in my field of view.  The spreading contrails over Ames in the Southwest were brightly lit, reflecting light into the Eastern sky.  I presume most of the jets were traveling between Chicago and Denver.  After 04:00 UT I gave up and went home because of worsening conditions.

02:00-03:00; 42 deg F; dew pt 31 deg F; wind SE 3 mph; "clear" with spreading jet contrails; LM 5.3; facing E 50 deg; total teff 1.0 hour
UT      mag     type     comment
02:01  +3        Spor
02:05  +3        Spor
0210   +2        AND  yellow; slow
02:43  +3        Spor
AND: one: +2
NTA: none
STA: none
Sporadics: three: +3(3)
Total meteors: four

03:00-04:00; 41 deg F; dew pt 31 deg F; calm; "clear" with spreading jet contrails - sky gradually worsening - average LM 5.0 for the hour; facing East 50 deg; total teff 1.0 hour
UT     mag    type    comment
03:19  +1      NTA
AND: none
NTA: one: +1
STA: none
Sporadics: none
Total meteors: one
At least I know that no bright meteors occurred in my field of view during the this hour.
I have not been impressed with the Taurids this year.  Maybe I am just unlucky with the nights that are clear and the times I go out?