(meteorobs) fireball report

Ed Cannon edcannonsat at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 05:17:56 EST 2009

The AMS online fireball report form was not working
("404 Not Found").

7/8 November 2009

18:46:00 November 7 local (Central Standard) time
00:46:00 November 8 UTC (within about 5 seconds)

San Antonio, Texas, USA (29.40 North, 98.66 West)

magnitude estimate -8

appeared near zenith, crossed Cygnus near Alberio
going northwest, disappeared at about 60 degrees
altitude at azimuth about 315; traversed about 30
degrees of sky; track pointed back towards Pegasus

lasted about 2 seconds

color was yellow-white to orange with some green
fringing

had a wake or train

a bit of minor sparking (minor fragmentation?)

I was showing a Hubble Space Telescope pass to
my mother when this fireball appeared.  A few
minutes earlier we had watched a very bright
(-4) pass of the International Space Station.
Of course Jupiter was very prominent in the
sky.  This fireball was obviously way brighter
than they were!  I had time to say, "Look!
Look!", and she said "Where?" and did see the
last one-half to one second of the fireball.

Fireballs are great!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA