(meteorobs) How many meteorites are associated with meteor showers?

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Thu Nov 12 16:10:22 EST 2009

>From: "Pat" <pat_branch at yahoo.com>

> Do we have any witnessed falls that resulted in recovery of a meteorite
> that can
>also be traced back to a specific meteor shower? I know Peter J recovered
>material
>from TC3 in the Sudan but that one was a random meteoroid. Do we have any
>from
>known showers that can then be associated with the known sapce body that
>produced it?

We must remember that more of 90% of meteors have an cometary origin and for
this
material it's near impossible to come at the ground of the Earth, in effect
we not known
meteorites of certain cometary origin, only sporadic bolids coming from
asteroidal parent
body to do meteorites (in 1 case on 100 if the bolid it's has the Full
Moon).
Of the known meteor shower only the Geminids come certainly from an
asteroid, 3200
Phaeton, and it's not casual that the density of Geminid it's more heavy of
others showers,
but until now we never saw a meteorite from Geminids.
We know two case of meteorites coming from very near orbits,

Pribam (Czechoslovakia), 7 April 1959 (H5-chondrite)

Euschwanstein (Germany), 6 April 2002 (enstatite chondrite EL6)

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003EAEJA....11512O

and probably in this case there are a meteor shower with very low ZHR but
with bodies very big coming from a disrupted asteroid and that each some
years
a member fall on the Earth as meteorite

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/archive/2002/fireballs20020467.htm

We know many parent comet of cometary meteor showers, see here:

http://www.ta3.sk/IAUC22DB/MDC2007/Roje/roje_lista.php?corobic_roje=0&sort_roje=0

Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli