(meteorobs) How many meteorites are associated with meteor showers?

Richardson, Terry R RichardsonT at cofc.edu
Thu Nov 12 16:40:29 EST 2009

In addition the low-density cometary nature of most shower meteoroids, the other consideration not mentioned in other posts is that a rather large object would be required for a portion of it to survive entry into our atmosphere. For low-density meteoroids and perhaps even those of a higher density if non-metallic, the forces associated with entry may shatter the object into smaller pieces. But the important idea here is that we rarely if even see the sort of massive bodies in meteor showers that could have a portion survive until reaching the surface.

Terry Richardson
Mebane Chair of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
66 George St.