(meteorobs) Observation 16 Nov UT from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:48:32 EST 2009

The sky at my site was misty and the weather prediction warned of fog formation in the early morning hours.  Ground fog did develop, but it was light and did not affect limiting magnitude very much, I don't believe.  A sporadic fireball lit up the misty air at 6:57 UT.  I only knew it occurred because the landscape lit up like when a quarter moon shines.  When I turned behind me, I saw a train that lasted about 2 seconds, near the 'pointer' stars of Ursa Major.

UT Date/ Duration : 16 November/ 5:43-10:01 UT
Location: Bel Alton, Maryland, USA

Total Teff: 3.85 hours
No clouds or obscurations.  Temperature 48 degrees F/ 9 degrees C.

543-701 UT, Teff=1.30, Lm= 5.41

LEO: -2
NTA: +3
STA:  +1, +2
SPO:  -9 (+/- -1), 0, +3 (2), Total: 4

718-833 UT, Teff=1.25, Lm= 5.47

LEO: 0 (2), +1, +3, Total 4
SPO: 0, +1, +3, +4 (2), Total 5

843-1001 UT, Teff= 1.30, Lm= 5.50

LEO: 0, +1 (2), +2 (2), +3 (2), Total 7
SPO: +2, +3 (2), +4, +5 (2), Total 6

Best wishes for clear skies at Leonid max,

Rich