(meteorobs) leonids in louisiana

Dave Hostetter dehostetter at cox.net
Tue Nov 17 22:45:52 EST 2009

Heavy clouds finally cleared off about midnight and I was able to observe
for 1.5 hours from 12:45 to 2:15 a.m. local time (0645-0815 UT) with an LM
varying from about 5 to 5.3 under transparent, thin clouds.  This may have
been the first workably clear night I've had for a major shower in about 3
years!  Unfortunately it was sort of a bust with very little activity seen:
a sporadic, a North Taurid, and 5 Leonids.  It was nice to get out again,
though, and the last meteor of the evening was a fine -1 magnitude Leonid.
Maybe the jinx is broken and I'll get a good look at the Geminids next
month, too!  I posted a more detailed report at the IMO electronic report
form.

Dave Hostetter
New Iberia, LA