(meteorobs) Green Fireballs

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 19 18:54:41 EST 2009

Hi Chris:

Your quote on meteorobs:

"The green seen in fireballs comes from atmospheric oxygen.
Composition can
be seen spectroscopically in emission lines, but the visual color is
pretty
much useless for assessing composition. All the different emission lines
push the apparent color towards visual white, and no single emission
line
can be strong enough to strongly influence that."

Chris

	I don't think you can make a blank statement that the green in
fireballs comes from atmospheric oxygen.  Oxygen is found in
fireballs with velocities greater than 40 km/sec.  This is especially
true of the persistent radiation of the so called forbidden line of
[ 0 ] at 557.7 nm first identified by Ian Halliday in 1958.  This
line is not present in slower fireballs like the types originating
from asteroids and likely to drop a meteorite.  I have discussed this
with Jiri Borovicka and he says that slow fireballs do not have
bright emissions in the near IR, (in contrast to fast fireballs like
the Perseids, which have O I, NI, Ca II emissions.  I would think
that Mg I and Mg II would be contributing to the green rather than
Oxygen as you suggest. I agree that you cannot determine the fireball
type from its apparent colour.  A lot still has to be learned from
meteor spectra.  We need to record the spectrum of a fireball that
has dropped a meteorite which has been recovered.  It would be
interesting to compare the elements found in the actual meteorite
with the spectrum of the fireball in the atmosphere.  This would
clear up may questions that have not been answered yet.

Ed Majden