(meteorobs) Green Fireballs....Answer

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Fri Nov 20 01:56:42 EST 2009

Both Chris & Ed are correct.Reading (ALL) stressed..(ALL)...of this from
AMS.... gives a properbalance to the discussion of fireball color & fireball
composition. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
About Fireballs and Meteorite Dropping Fireballs -
Question List:

5. Can fireballs appear in different colors?

Vivid colors are more often reported by fireball
observers because the brightness is great enough to
fall well within the range of human color vision.
These must be treated with some caution, however,
because of well-known effects associated with the
persistence of vision. Reported colors range across
the spectrum, from red to bright blue, and (rarely)
violet. The dominant composition of a meteoroid can
play an important part in the observed colors of a
fireball, with certain elements displaying signature
colors when vaporized. For example, sodium produces a
bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and
magnesium as blue-white. The velocity of the meteor
also plays an important role, since a higher level of
kinetic energy will intensify certain colors compared
to others. Among fainter objects, it seems to be
reported that slow meteors are red or orange, while
fast meteors frequently have a blue color, but for
fireballs the situation seems more complex than that,
but perhaps only because of the curiousities of color
vision as mentioned above.

The difficulties of specifying meteor color arise
because meteor light is dominated by an emission,
rather than a continuous, spectrum. The majority of
light from a fireball radiates from a compact cloud of
material immediately surrounding the meteoroid or
closely trailing it. 95% of this cloud consists of
atoms from the surrounding atmosphere; the balance
consists of atoms of vaporized elements from the
meteoroid itself. These excited particles will emit
light at wavelengths characteristic for each element.
The most common emission lines observed in the visual
portion of the spectrum from ablated material in the
fireball head originate from iron (Fe), magnesium
(Mg), and sodium (Na). Silicon (Si) may be
under-represented due to incomplete dissociation of
SiO2 molecules. Manganese (Mn), Chromium (Cr), Copper
(Cu) have been observed in fireball spectra, along
with rarer elements. The refractory elements Aluminum
(Al), Calcium (Ca), and Titanium (Ti) tend to be
incompletely vaporized and thus also under-represented
in fireball spectra.