(meteorobs) Fw: Fireball 08:30 UT on 28Oct09 Bartlesville, OK

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 30 14:15:36 EST 2009

GeoZay at aol.com wrote:
>>> Saw a persistent train but did not last long given the light  pollution.<<
>>>

> Seeing a persistent train gives me the impression that it was going to fast
>  for it to be a meteorite dropper of asteroidal origins.
> GeoZay

Not if it was really bright. The meteorite Kendleton, Texas,  that Fell
on May 2, 1939
had a famous persistent train that lasted for several minutes that was
photographed and
published. Also, the famous Sikhote-Alin fireball train of February 12,
1947 lasted so
long that it was painted by an artist from memory.  They even made it
into a famous
stamp. See:

http://www.catchafallingstar.com/stamp4.jpg

Clear Skies,