(meteorobs) Need moon magnitude help please

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Fri Oct 9 15:27:12 EDT 2009

>From: "Chris Peterson" <clp at alumni.caltech.edu>
>

>Hi Tom-
>
>For conventional Moon phase (0% new, 100% full), you can use this:
>
>mag = -3.33 ln(phase) + 2.79
>
>to give the zenithal magnitude of the Moon. You might want to correct that
>for zenith angle, just as you would for a meteor, although it usually isn't
>necessary when using the Moon as a brightness reference for fireballs.
>
>At the time of your event, the Moon's phase was 72%, so I'd put its
>brightness at mag -11.5. At an altitude of 50°, I wouldn't worry about any
>corrections to that. Your meteor was low enough, however, to be somewhat
>attenuated. If you are able to compare it with the Moon, you should
>probably
>increase its estimated brightness slightly to compensate for atmospheric
>extinction.
>
>Chris

For a rigorous calculation he should to correct:

1)  zenithal magnitude of the Moon

2)  zenithal magnitude of the bolid (at the maximum or better at each flare)

3) it must correct the magnitude of bolid too for the color of the bolid
    if saw visual, but it should to do the same for the CCD if he known
    the light curve of the camera

4) he should too correct for the limit magnitude of the sky in that moment.
    for a sky reference of 6,5a.

But  he can to calculate only the first 2 item.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli