(meteorobs) Need moon magnitude help please

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 9 15:46:43 EDT 2009

Hi Roberto-

I rarely do this, for several reasons. First, the magnitude of a fireball
isn't usually that useful to know, unless you can actually get an accurate
light profile. And that isn't possible with these video meteors because the
signal is saturated. So the technique is to look at the apparent diameter of
the saturated Moon, and compare it to the apparent diameter of the saturated
meteor, and run that through some kind of estimation function. You're lucky
to be accurate within a couple of magnitudes, which pretty much makes
compensating for things like atmospheric extinction pointless.

For more distant meteors, where I have multiple station data, I do sometimes
convert the apparent magnitude to a normalized magnitude.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com