(meteorobs) Need moon magnitude help please

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Mon Oct 12 11:20:08 EDT 2009

>From: "Chris Peterson" <clp at alumni.caltech.edu>
>

>Hi Roberto-
>
>I rarely do this, for several reasons. First, the magnitude of a fireball
>isn't usually that useful to know, unless you can actually get an accurate
>light profile. And that isn't possible with these video meteors because the
>signal is saturated. So the technique is to look at the apparent diameter
>of
>the saturated Moon, and compare it to the apparent diameter of the
>saturated
>meteor, and run that through some kind of estimation function. You're lucky
>to be accurate within a couple of magnitudes, which pretty much makes
>compensating for things like atmospheric extinction pointless.
>
>For more distant meteors, where I have multiple station data, I do
>sometimes
>convert the apparent magnitude to a normalized magnitude.
>
>Chris

Yes, I agree with you, but I think that in future we shall have more
record from couple or too arrays of cameras then we shall to do
this corrections for to have more reliable data: it's possible that,
as occur sometime today, satellites can to take all trajectory and
with more reliable data on infrared.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli