(meteorobs) Chris of Cloudbait Observatory. Your thoughts on N.M.10/09 Fireball....?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:43:54 EDT 2009

There is nothing to suggest that this fireball was any different from the
vast majority of fireballs: a chunk of stony material. It was brighter
because it was bigger, and its fragmentation was very typical of many larger
meteoroids.

Fragmentation is not a mode of ablation. When you have a meteoroid larger
than a few centimeters, it builds up huge pressure on the leading face. The
resulting forces are generally greater than the material strength of the
body, so it fragments. This exposes more surface for ablation, which is seen
as a transient increase in brightness. Most of the material suddenly exposed
in this way is vaporized, and will never end up as meteorites. It is
entirely possible that a large fireball like this produced no meteorites.
The likelihood of meteorites is very difficult to determine without
additional information about the height, entry angle, and speed of this
body, and that is largely unknown unless data from another location becomes
available.

This fireball was impressive, but not particularly unusual. Its peak
brightness was about that of the full Moon (not the Sun), and it does not
show a terminal explosion. The general nature of the light curve- dim to
bright back to dim, combined with the extensive fragmentation during the
flight, suggests to me that this isn't the best candidate for a meteorite
producer.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory