(meteorobs) Chris of Cloudbait Observatory.YourthoughtsonN.M.10/09 Fireball....?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 12 22:01:36 EDT 2009

With saturated pixels (as we usually see with fireballs), the apparent size
of the meteor image can be used to get a reasonable estimate of magnitude,
assuming some sort of calibration has been performed, or a reference is
available. In the case of Tom's video, it is evident that the meteor is
similar in appearance to the Moon which is also in the field, probably not
more than a few magnitudes brighter. A flash as bright as the Sun would have
filled the entire frame with white, and there would have been no detail at
all in those frames.

I can't think of any physical or instrumental process or artifact that would
allow for this meteor to actually be much brighter than the Moon.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com