(meteorobs) Determining physical dimensions of a large fireball inthe sky?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:43:38 EDT 2009

Tom-

As is the case with so much meteor analysis, very little can be determined
using single station data. I encourage anybody interested in meteors to set
up two stations! Get a friend involved; the cost is minimal and the data
gain is immense.

If you have information from two or more stations, you can determine the
meteor velocity as a function of altitude. This lets you make some very
reasonable estimates for the size of the body. In practice, you assume a
meteoroid shape (nearly always spherical), and you then solve for the
observed velocity profile assuming different densities. The trickiest bit is
isolating the effect of mass loss due to ablation, but a lot of good work
has been done on modeling ablation.

I have software I've written that largely automates all of this, given
multistation data. You can even set it up in a fairly simple spreadsheet.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com