(meteorobs) Determining physical dimensions of a large fireballin the sky?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:48:56 EDT 2009

Mike-

Even if you know the fireball trajectory with high precision, this doesn't
usually get you very close to a landing location. That depends primarily on
the winds experienced by material during dark flight. That effect can be
significant: a meteorite strewn field can lie in front of, to the side, or
behind the point of retardation (or terminal explosion). The deviation can
be miles. It is critical in analyzing any fireball with the intent of
locating meteorites to obtain data for the most recent local radiosonde
launch providing wind speed and direction at high altitudes. Otherwise,
there is no way to accurately estimate the landing area.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com