(meteorobs) Determining physical dimensions of a largefireballin the sky?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 13 12:51:36 EDT 2009

Mike-

The dark flight details are only loosely tied to the ground track during the
luminous part of the flight. Within a few seconds of retardation, any
surviving meteoroid components have lost virtually all of their original
velocity, and are falling vertically with respect to the local wind field.
That's why there are two key components to connecting meteors with strewn
fields: first, using instrument data or witnesses to locate the ground
position of the terminal explosion or disruptions near the end of the event,
and second, determining where an object of a given mass dropped from that
location will land, based on upper level wind conditions.

Working with accidental video is always a challenge. It can be fun, though;
we once reconstructed a meteor path using the reflection in a car fender
caught by a security camera. For that event we not only have meteorites, but
this video record and numerous witness reports.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com