(meteorobs) Finding Meteorites From Observations

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Wed Oct 14 13:40:23 EDT 2009

I'm not seeing any adjustments in the search areas for the rotation of the
Earth. It is significant, 457 meters per second (1500 feet) at the equator
and zero at the poles. I'm not an expert but the direction of the meteor to
the north/south axes, the latitude and the last point the meteor seen have
to be considered. I believe I've read that the dark flight lasts about 120
seconds. At the equator that would put the impact zone 55 km or 34 miles
from the expected point of impact. Impact tables should be caculated for
various angles and latitudes for meteorobs by those capable, then maybe
some meteorites could then be found from observations.
                                    Dave English
                               Oceanside, California