(meteorobs) Finding Meteorites From Observations

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Wed Oct 14 14:03:25 EDT 2009

>From: <prospector at znet.com>
>

>I'm not seeing any adjustments in the search areas for the rotation of the
>Earth. It is significant, 457 meters per second (1500 feet) at the equator
>and zero at the poles. I'm not an expert but the direction of the meteor to
>the north/south axes, the latitude and the last point the meteor seen have
>to be considered. I believe I've read that the dark flight lasts about 120
>seconds. At the equator that would put the impact zone 55 km or 34 miles
>from the expected point of impact. Impact tables should be caculated for
>various angles and latitudes for meteorobs by those capable, then maybe
>some meteorites could then be found from observations.
>                                    Dave English
>                               Oceanside, California

This it's that I call Coriolis effect.
This it's valid only during the flight accross the atmosphere
not during the free fall after the point of retardation, then in the best
case we can have 0.457 m/s for 5 seconds? Then a total of 2 km
(a little more of a mile) of deviation and this only in a trajectory exactly
North-South o South-North, in East-West trajectory or West-East
we have a fall point deplaced from the calculated point (along the
trajectory)
of 2 km, in intermediate trajectory around 1 km, if we think that
in the best case the calculations has a error of 0.4 km this effect
in reality cannot useful for search of meteorites.
Following my recent experience in this field I think it's better
ask for radar data, the radar see the meteroites falling if they are
big (in my case a cubic metre) but in near the cases the amateur
cannot have this data and too the professionals, because
the radar data are very military sensitive, and it's the same
for degraded data.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli