(meteorobs) CW RADAR Meteor Detection Receiver...Further thoughts.

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Thu Oct 15 12:25:02 EDT 2009

This RADAR system which apparently was turned over to Military use, would
likely remain somewhere close in carrier frequency otherwise a massive
restructure of the resonant antenna system would be necessary. Therefore the
carrier frequency should be close to the original frequency which might be
traceable on line.

I suspect that it is entirely possible that the 215 Mhz is a CW MODULATION
of the RADAR frequency. I am not convinced with what I read quickly...that
the RADAR frequency is 215 Mhz even tho' it would be easier to set up a
receiver detection circuit if it were the principle carrier. The precise
modulation frequency would probably be changed by the Military to another
frequency.

Assuming 215 mhz is NOT the carrier but is the modulation, a WIDE-BAND
detector circuit and antenna which covers the original carrier frequency and
frequencies nearby could be constructed with high gain 215 mhz amplifiers
for a modulation detection.

Starting points would be:

1) Searching for the original NAVY carrier frequency on-line,
2) Build an antenna with low gain for microwave frequencies to help a
scanner,
3) Using a Scanner to hunt for both carrier frequency and modulation
frequency, It should stand out with the power and location of these
transmitters along with the numerous returns..
4) Depend on High Altitude aircraft returns for strong signals before
developing a high gain circuit arrangement for meteor returns.

Just a little musing here....... I do not intend to set up any detection
system at this time.

 -YCSentinel