(meteorobs) Chris of Cloudbait Observatory. Yourthoughts onN.M. 10/09 Fireball....?

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 15 13:09:14 EDT 2009

Hello Roberto et al:
	Yes, you can tell in some cases whether a fireball is a stoney type
or iron by looking at the meteor light profiles.  I think the
confusion arises from the words used to describe this.  Type of
material, stone or iron, or composition which is obtained by
spectroscopy, i.e.   NaI, Mg II, Fe, Al, Si, etc.  You cannot get the
latter from the light curve of a meteor trail.
Thanks for the references provided.  I do know Martin Beech at the
University of Regina.  We are both MIAC members, I'm an Associate and
Martin is a full member.  Martin used a couple of my meteor spectra
photographs to illustrate his book, Meteors and Meteorites - origins
and observations, on page 117.  This book was published by The
Crowood Press in 2006.  ISBN 1 86126 825 4   I've seen it available
for sale on eBay.  Do a search for books on meteors or meteorites
under the Books Section if your interested in getting a copy.
Best regards:
Ed