(meteorobs) Orionids this morning...

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 19 08:59:17 EDT 2009

Hello,

I was out for a couple of hours early this morning (Oct 19) under dark
skies before dawn and I felt that there was a small flurry of
Orionids, especially near the start of my session.  Several short
meteors - some within seconds of each together!  This was a little
more going on than I expected :)  But lots of faint stuff, few bright
ones and certainly no fireballs.  Most were of the "blink and you
miss" variety, that Orionids are normally known for.  The rates
appeared to sharply taper off towards dawn.

Will report later with more complete details (off for some much needed
sleep now).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a small hole between clouds passing
by on Wednesday morning, otherwise the forecase here is not looking
promising all week.

- Pierre
Ottawa, Ontario