(meteorobs) Orionids from Greece

Rainer Arlt rarlt at aip.de
Thu Oct 22 10:31:14 EDT 2009

Hello Grigoris,

> What i noticed is that the Orionids seemed to come in groups of
> activity, like some minutes when i could see 4-5 of them then some
> minutes (even 5-10) without. Perhaps it could be just my impression.

The impression may not mean the events are physically linked.
I generate just 30 random numbers from 0 to 60 as to represent
30 meteors in 1 hour. Here are the minutes at which they
"appeared":

 4         4         6        14        15        16        16
16        22        23        23        25        29        31
31        32        38        39        39        40        43
45        45        46        50        51        53        54
55        56

You see that the events appear very unequal with three events
per minute and 8 minutes without anything. These are just random
events similar to meteors. If the meteors are really physically
linked like by, e.g., a breakup of larger bodies before the
entrance into the atmosphere, the clumping would be much
stronger.

Nevertheless, such studies are interesting, but need to be done
on a large number of meteors. Everybody can do this actually
with the video database of the IMO. I really recommend this.

Best wishes,
Rainer